Thursday, March 8, 2007

Working and working out

So not long ago, a friend who recently returned to her full-time job after maternity leave said to me, "One thing I still haven't figured out is when to work out."

This working mama sympathizes. (And I've also discovered that having two young kids means it's twice as hard to find time to work out.)

So what's a working mama to do?

This article on FamilyEducation.com has some useful tips, including making workouts a priority, waking up early to head to the gym (Ha! As if I have any extra sleep to sacrifice!) and trading workout days with a partner.

If you don't want to cut too much into family time, I say join a gym near the office and squeeze in a workout during your lunch break. (Hey, you're already paying for child care anyway, why not get a workout out of it, too?)

If there's not a gym nearby, even going for a walk can get the blood moving and give a working mama a few minutes of personal time, not to mention leave her refreshed for those afternoon meetings.

Personally, I have found it useful to redefine the concept of exercise. Before baby, my idea of "working out" was swimming for half an hour, parking myself on the elliptical trainer at the gym, going on a Saturday afternoon bike ride or running a few miles before work.

And now? I consider it a success if I can just get both kids dressed and out of the house.

Seriously, though, on the days I'm not working and can't get a babysitter, I try to incorporate my kids into my exercise routine. I have a double stroller (my kids are 1 and 2 1/2), and anytime the weather's not below freezing, I'll buckle them in and head for the neighborhood park. (Hey, with both kids in this thing, it weighs almost 80 pounds, so don't tell me that's not a workout!) Sometimes I'll even bring the dogs, two 75-pound Labrador retrievers. The dogs get a walk, the kids get to play at the park and mom gets her exercise. Everyone's happy.

I also put my kids to work. When my son was a toddler, I would have him accompany me while I did chores in the yard. If I was pulling weeds, I'd give him a hose and let him water the plants. If I was raking leaves, he would help me. (Grandma gave him a pint-sized rake, which he loved.) I could spend time with my son, squeeze some chores into the too-short weekend, and get exercise all at the same time.

Above all, I make exercise a priority in my life. If I don't get any, I go stir-crazy, so instead I squeeze it in wherever I can.

No comments: