Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"I missed you, mommy"

Yesterday when I got home from work, I immediately had to put my one-year-old daughter to bed. Then I had to make dinner for my 2 1/2-year-old son and me. (My husband was working late.)

While we were eating dinner, my son turned to me and said, "I missed you, mommy."

His words touched me. I know he misses me when I'm gone, but this is the first time I've heard him verbalize his feelings.

I just hugged him and said, "I missed you too, sweetie."

I thought about this tonight as I read the article "Family Values Begin at Home, but Who's Home?"

The author believes, and I agree, that in the quest for work-life balance, work is winning. And in a society that's supposed to be deeply concerned about family values, "these issues have been appallingly absent from the political conversation."

Maybe it's time to jump-start the conversation. Election 2008, anyone?

Need more convincing? Take at look at this post on the Silicon Valley Moms Blog of a glimpse inside the boardroom. Horrified? I was.

No comments: