Monday, March 12, 2007

All in a day's work

What a great day! I played with my kids all morning, then I spent 4 1/2 hours today at my husband's office, learning how to do his accounting, billing and payroll. It's not my normal line of work, but I am so happy to have a less stressful job. Besides, he really needs the help, and it also helps our bottom line.

I got home just before 6 and realized I had forgotten to set out something for dinner, but I grabbed leftovers from the freezer and popped them in the microwave. Within 10 minutes, I had dinner on the table.

By some miracle, we got both kids to sleep (in their own beds even!) by 7:30.

So what did I do with my evening? I prepped dinner for tomorrow, then I cleaned the kitchen and the bathrooms. (I had a house cleaner for awhile, but I fired her after she didn't show up for the third time, so now I'm back to doing it myself.)

I keep thinking of that old saying, "A woman's work is never done."

Not that I'm saying that cleaning is woman's work, mind you. Trust me, my husband does his share around here.

I just think that in families where both parents work, for many the "second shift" begins in the evening -- making dinner, feeding and bathing the kids, putting the kids to bed, doing dishes, tackling laundry, paying bills, etc.

And even when a working mother is not officially on the clock, at work or at home, she's always on call. It comes with being a mother.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm always amazed at how I transform the minute I walk in the door. Like Sunday night, after book club: I walked straight to the dishwasher, emptied it, then re-filled it. Then I hit the laundry room, moving wet stuff to the dryer and dry stuff to the laundry basket in my room. Then back downstairs to make the boy's lunch for tomorrow. Then back up to lay out the girl's clothes. Then it was time to check my work email to make sure I was ready for the next day. Yup - my work is never ever done.