Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

My two kids share a room, partly because we want them to learn closeness and sharing, and partly because we don't have a huge house. Most of the time, this arrangement has its benefits. And then there are other times, like last night.

A. woke up at 4 a.m. after a nightmare, calling for mama. (Hmm, could it be because we were watching the shark episode on "Planet Earth" earlier? And why in the middle of the night do they always ask for mama, never daddy?) I groggily dragged myself across the hall to their room, tucked him back into bed, and was about to do the same myself when L. woke up, too. Because I prefer to be prone rather than upright at 4 a.m., I picked up both kids and plopped them down in my bed.

So there we were, four of us crowded into a full-size bed. After much tossing and turning, eventually we all fell back to sleep.

It's not the best scenario, but sometimes I'm just too tired to try anything else. Fortunately, I have a secret weapon for nighttime wakenings: the morning fairy.

I read about this ingenious solution a couple of months ago. The way it works is, we tell A. if he goes to sleep in his own bed, stays there all night, and doesn't wet the bed, the morning fairy will bring him a present. Usually it's something like M&Ms and a banana.

Bribery? Yes. But A. is highly motivated by M&Ms.

Some days (and nights) I can't believe what I will say to get the desired result. I always thought I would be one of those parents who tells their children the truth about Santa Claus from the beginning.

But there's something about the power of magic for a three year old. It's more than him believing in something silly like a morning fairy; it's about him learning a new skill and taking pride in his accomplishments.

And, of course, mama getting a few more uninterrupted nights.

No comments: