Sunday, May 13, 2007

Hey Mom! Thanks.

When my husband asked what I wanted for Mother's Day this year, I told him I didn't want a gift. "I just want to go swimming for an hour," I said.

Swimming is one of the things I do to relax. It's how I lost weight after the birth of my son. It's one of my favorite ways to exercise, because I always feel so energized afterwards. I don't go nearly often enough.

Then I thought, why not ask my mother if she'd like to join me for a swim on Mother's Day?

I see her almost every day, when she comes over to watch my kids so I can go out into the world and earn money. But our conversations are too often interrupted by wee ones demanding attention, so I thought it would be nice to do something together, just the two of us.

I can't even begin to thank my mother for all she's done for me over the years. She fed and clothed me. She bandaged my knees when I fell off my bike. She spent countless hours reading to me before bedtime. She attended every single one of my softball games. She taught me that I could do anything, be anything I wanted. She led by example, teaching me about kindness and patience.

And now, she helps watch my kids. If there were ever a person I trust to help raise them, it's her. I think she did a pretty good job the first time around.

I am grateful my kids will be raised in the loving arms of an extended family. I only met my grandparents a handful of times, so I love that A. and L. have formed a tight bond with their Nana. I am grateful that 12 years after I left home, my parents uprooted their lives and moved to the Pacific Northwest so they could be closer to their children and grandchildren.

Did I thank my mother this evening? Well, no. But we had a nice chat and a fun time in the pool. She even let me borrow her goggles after I told her mine leaked.

That's the kind of mother she is.

I hope I can do as much for my own kids. One thing I do know: If either A. or L. ever need help taking care of their own children, I will be there.

No comments: